Sunrise Ruby, a rare ruby and diamond ring weighing 25.59 carats, Cartier. Estimate: CHF 11,700,000 – 17,500,000. Price Realized: CHF 28,250,000 (US$ 30,335,698). Image courtesy of Sotheby’s
Sunrise Ruby by Cartier helps Sotheby’s achieve auction record at sale of magnificent and noble jewelries in Geneva
GENEVA – Sunrise Ruby, an exceptional and immeasurably rare 25.59-carat Burmese stone top Sotheby’s auction of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva. Mounted by Cartier, the exceptional piece sold for CHF 28.3m/US$ 30.3 million, establishing a new record both for any ruby per carat, and for any stone by Cartier. Estimated at CHF 11.7 -17.5 million / US$ 12-18 million, the price realized by the Sunrise Ruby more than tripled the previous record set by the superb 8.62-carat ‘Graff Ruby’ at Sotheby’s Geneva on November 12, 2014.
Following the Sunrise Ruby is the ‘Historic Pink Diamond’. Believed to have been part of the collection of Princess Mathilde, niece of Napoleon, the, exquisite 8.72-carat stone only recently resurfaced, having been kept in a bank vault since the 1940s. With VS2 clarity and mesmerizing color, the stone is also remarkable for its classic non-modified cushion cut. The gem was clearly a magnetic beauty at the Sotheby’s Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels auction. When it came to the floor, many collectors and connoisseurs of the very finest precious jewels could not resist the amazing pink diamond. Estimated at CHF 13.7-17.5million / US$ 14-18million, it sold to a bidder in the room for CHF 14,810,000 / US$ 15,903,422.
The Sunrise Ruby and the ‘Historic Pink Diamond’ are just two of the Gems that made great impression at the Sotheby’s evening’s auction of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva. Four exceptional modern jewels by Cartier also did well at the auction. Together, the four jewels by Cartier achieved an outstanding total of CHF 43,924,000 / US$ 47,166,909 over the estimate of CHF 21.7 million -34.3 million. They include a magnificent diamond necklace. Estimated at CHF 5.9 – 9.8m / US$6 – 10million, it sold for an impressive CHF 6,746,000 / US$ 7,244,057. A ravishing brooch set with a 30.23-carat sapphire established a new world auction record price for a Kashmir sapphire jewel when it achieved CHF 5,738,000 / US$ 6,161,637. It was estimated at CHF 3.4 – 5.9 million / US$ 3.5 – 6 million). In addition, a pair of elegant sapphire and diamond earrings, made with two exceptionally well-matched Burmese Mogok sapphires set a new world auction record for a pair of Burmese sapphire earrings when it sold for CHF 3,190,000 / US$ 3,425,518. It was estimated for CHF 780,000 – 1.2 million / US$ 800,000 – 1.2 million).
AUCTION PRICE | ALSO READ: Rothko Leads Sotheby’s Contemporary Art Sale
The Sotheby’s auction of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva achieved a total of CHF 149,851,375 / US$ 160,914,902, the highest ever total for any jewellery auction. The total realized was far above the pre-estimate. 94% of lots were sold.
Speaking after the sale, David Bennett, Worldwide Chairman of Sotheby’s International Jewellery Division, commented: “Tonight’s record result is the reflection of the outstanding quality of the pieces in the sale across the board. The Sunrise Ruby captivated me from the moment I saw it – such an exquisite stone truly deserved the multiple-record-breaking price this evening. The exceptional results achieved for the other Cartier jewels in the sale – including two world auction records for sapphires – and for ‘The Historic Pink Diamond’ are evidence that the market for exceptional jewels is going from strength to strength. The galleries have been brimming with collectors during our worldwide exhibitions, and this translated into lively bidding throughout the sale tonight with truly global demand for the finest diamonds, gemstones and signed pieces of the very highest order.”
Below are some the exceptional jewel at Sotheby’s evening’s auction of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels in Geneva.
- Lot 502- Superb and extremely rare ruby and diamond ring weighing 25.59 carats, Cartier. Estimate: CHF 11,700,000 – 17,500,000. Price Realized: CHF 28,250,000 (US$ 30,335,698). Buyer: Anonymous. World auction record for any ruby, world auction record per carat for a ruby, world auction record for a jewel by Cartier
- Lot 460- ‘The Historic Pink’, a magnificent fancy vivid pink diamond ring weighing 8.72 carats. Estimate: CHF 13,650,000 – 17,500,000. Price Realized: CHF 14,810,000 (US$ 15,903,422) Buyer: Anonymous
- Lot 501- Magnificent diamond necklace, ‘Ivresse’, Cartier. Estimate: CHF 5,850,000 – 9,750,000. Price Realized: CHF 6,746,000 (US$ 7,244,057) Buyer: Anonymous
- Lot 498- Natural pearl and diamond necklace. Estimate: CHF 2,920,000 – 4,870,000. Price Realized: CHF 6,522,000 (US$ 7,003,519), Buyer: International Trade. World auction record for a two-row natural pearl necklace
- Lot 499- Magnificent sapphire and diamond brooch, Cartier. Estimate: CHF 3,410,000 – 5,850,000. Price Realized: CHF 5,738,000 (US$ 6,161,637). Buyer: Anonymous. World auction record price for a Kashmir sapphire jewel
- Lot 452- Impressive diamond ring weighing 31.93 carats. Estimate: CHF 3,400,000 – 3,800,000. Price Realized: CHF 3,778,000 (US$ 4,056,930). Buyer: International Trade
- Lot 459- Very fine natural pearl and diamond necklace. Estimate: CHF 295,000 – 490,000. Price Realized: CHF 3,610,000 (US$ 3,876,526). Buyer: International Trade
- Lot 500- Pair of very fine and rare sapphire and diamond ear clips, Cartier + case + 18 reports. Estimate: CHF 780,000 – 1,170,000. Price Realized: CHF 3,190,000 (US$ 3,425,518). Buyer: European Private. World auction record price for a pair of Burmese sapphire earrings
- Lot 442- Pair of fine diamond earrings. Estimate: CHF 2,240,000 – 2,750,000. Price Realized: CHF 3,010,000 (US$ 3,232,228). Buyer: Anonymous
- Lot 478 – Pair of fine natural pearl and diamond pendent ear clips, Petochi. Estimate: CHF 245,000 – 340,000. Price Realized: CHF 3,010,000 (US$3,232,228). Buyer: International Trade
- Lot 451- A rare and superb gem set vanity case by Cartier, made in 1925. Estimate: CHF 110,000 – 160,000 / US$ 115,000 – 165,000). Price Realized: CHF 274,000 / US$ 294,229
- Lot 469- A delightful pair of captivating gem set and diamond “Tutti-Frutti” clips. Estimate: CHF 69,000 – 98,000 / US$ 70,000 – 100,000). Price Realized: CHF 466,000 / US$ 500,405
- Lot 472- Important ruby and diamond bangle-bracelet by Boucheron. Estimate: CHF 390,000 – 680,000 / US$ 400,000 – 700,000. Price Realized: CHF 910,000 / US$ 977,185
- Lot 453- A striking 1960s gem-set and diamond demi-parure by Jean Schlumberger. Estimate: CHF 69,000 – 105,000 / US$ 70,000 – 110,000). Price Realized: CHF 162,500 / US$ 174,497
- Lot 497- A stunning tiara created by Cartier in the 1930s. Estimate: CHF 295,000 – 485,000 / US$ 300,000 – 500,000). Price Realized: CHF 2,410,000 / US$ 2,587,930
- Lot 493- A second exquisite diamond tiara from the collection, which dates from the 19th century and can also be worn as a necklace. Estimate: CHF 295,000 – 485,000 / US$ 300,000 – 500,000). Price Realized: CHF 790,000 / US$ 848,326
Join the art conversation: Share your thoughts and comments. Add to the story