Christie’s Latin American Art Evening Sale achieves $20.2 million in an art sale where several new auction prices were set
NEW YORK, NY– Five works sold for over $1 million during Christie’s Latin American Art Evening Sale in New York. The art auction which drew art collectors from across the globe featured works from 16 countries, including Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, and Uruguay. 75 lots were offered during art sale but only 60 lots sold, bring a total of $20,176. The top lot was Fernando Botero’s, Adam and Eve that fetched $2.5 million. With the sale of Adam and Eve Botero established a new world auction record for his art. Also establishing a new world record is Juan Manuel Blanes’s Aurora which sold for $905,000, besting the artist past sale record. Another bright spot of the art auction was Rufino Tamayo’s Sandías that doubled pre-sale estimate selling for $1.7 million.
At the Christie’s Latin American Art Evening Sale 80% sold by lot while 85% sold by value. Below are the Top Ten Lot at the art sale. All sold prices include buyer’s premium.
1. Alfredo Ramos Martínez (Mexican 1872-1946), Mujeres con flores, oil on canvas, painted circa 1938.. Estimate: 2,000,000 – 3,000,000. Price Realized: $2,741,000- £1,754,240- €2,192,800. Buyer: Anonymous
2. Fernando Botero (Colombian b. 1932), Adam and Eve, bronze with dark brown patina, executed in 1990. World auction record for the artist. Estimate: 1,800,000 – 2,500,000. Price Realized: $2,573,000-£1,646,720-€2,058,400. Buyer: US Trade
3. Rufino Tamayo (Mexican 1899-1991), Sandías, oil on canvas, painted in 1955.Latin American Artists. Latin American Art. Estimate: 600,000 – 800,000. Price Realized: $1,745,000-£1,116,800-€1,396,000. Buyer: North American Private
4. Fernando Botero (Colombian b. 1932), Shoeshine, oil on canvas, painted in 1989. Estimate: 700,000 – 900,000. Price Realized: $1,085,000-£694,400-€868,000. Buyer: Russian Private
5. Fernando Botero (Colombian b. 1932), Dancers, bronze with dark brown patina, edition five of six. Estimate : 500,000 – 700,000. Price Realized : $1,025,000-£656,000-€820,000. Buyer: Anonymous
6. Juan Manuel Blanes (Uruguayan 1830-1901), Aurora (also known as Entre dos luces), oil on canvas, painted circa 1879-1885. Latin American Artists. World auction record for the artist. Estimate: 200,000 –300,000. Price Realized: $905,000-£579,200-€724,000. Buyer: Anonymous
7. Wifredo Lam (Cuban 1902-1982), Le nid fascine, oil on canvas, painted in 1944. Estimate: 250,000 – 350,000.Price Realized: $629,000-£402,560-€503,200. Buyer: Russian Private
8. Wifredo Lam (Cuban 1902-1982), Untitled (Personnage avec oiseau), oil on canvas, painted in 1961. Estimate: 350,000 – 450,000. Price Realized: $581,000-£371,840-€464,800. Buyer: US Private
9. Leonora Carrington (British/Mexican 1917-2011), The Cockcrow, oil on canvas, painted in 1946. Latin American Artists. Estimate: 200,000 – 300,000. Price Realized: $461,000-£295,040-€368,800. Buyer: US Trade
10. Wifredo Lam (Cuban 1902-1982), Oiseau caraïbe, oil on burlap, painted in 1952. Estimate: 400,000 – 600,000. Price Realized: $461,000-£295,040-€368,800. Buyer: Anonymous